Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Resurrection of Lilli-Mae...

Back in the late nineties, when I started designing my own bears - my second ever design, was a beautiful "old gal" which I named Lilli-Mae.  She was made from a gorgeous dusty mauve long pile sparse mohair and for something a little different, I gave her painted and embroidered foot and paw pads.

It was around Christmas time when a lady walked into the shop and fell in love with her -- she said she just had to have her!!!  I let my sweet Lilli-Mae go home with that lady,  thinking that it would not be difficult for me to make her again over the Christmas break.  Well who was I kidding -- at least ten Christmases came and went and there was no sign of a second Lilli-Mae from me!!!

Now for the past six months, Kim has really been on my case to re-create Lilli-Mae again -- and I am very proud to say that "I finally did it".   I think the reason why it has taken me so long is because I really hate doing the same thing twice -- and so I kept putting it off!!!   This time round I chose a pale pink curly mohair and even took the pads with me to Thailand to embroider as they take the longest amount of time... but something I really enjoyed doing!!!
 Lilli-Mae also has a hand painted little bag to match her pads... somewhere where she can stash that little lace hanky of hers, and of course her lippy...
a gorgeous beaded necklace adorns her neck...
 and she wears the most stunning flower for a headpiece...
Instead of an embroidered nose, this Lilli-Mae has a nose made from  glittery pink sculpey...
Put it all together and you get the most gorgeous "old gal" -- 17 inches tall!!!
Kits are available for Lilli-Mae in both the original dusty mauve colour and also the new pink version.  We are also offering a Lilli-Mae Club which meets once a month for a whole day of fun and Lilli-Maeing...
We will start with painting the fabric to create her paws -- then you will have a month to complete the embroidery before coming back to start work on the bear herself.  This will be a work at your own pace NO STRESS class to be enjoyed as your "once a month" treat to yourself...
Please check our website for all the details...

2 comments: